Medication Therapy Management Program
Buckeye Health Plan – MyCare Ohio (Medicare-Medicaid Plan) has programs to help members with their Part D medications in special situations. Some members have several complex medical conditions at one time. These members may need to take many drugs at the same time. These members also could have high drug costs. A team of pharmacists and doctors created a program for us to help these members with their care. The program is called the Medication Therapy Management program, or MTMP.
The MTMP helps make sure our members are using the drugs that work best to treat their conditions. The MTMP helps us find possible medication errors. The MTMP helps our members have better drug adherence. The program is not a benefit. There is no cost for members who qualify.
There is no pressure from the plan to join.
Members who are eligible for the MTMP have:
- Three or more of the following chronic disease states:
- hypertension or high blood pressure
- dyslipidemia or high cholesterol
- end stage renal disease (ESRD)
- mental health-depression
- Eight or more chronic or maintenance Part D medications
- High drug costs (more than $3,967 each year).
If you meet the requirements for the MTMP, we will enroll you in the program.
We will send you a letter telling you have qualified for MTMP program. The letter will tell you to expect a call to schedule your drug review. You can also call and ask for a drug review.
If you do not want to be in the program, tell us. We will withdraw your name from the program.
The pharmacist or pharmacy intern under the direct supervision of a pharmacist will provide the following MTMP services with a final goal of helping the member reach the best therapeutic results to fit their needs:
- An annual Comprehensive Medication Review (CMR) is conducted either by phone or a face-to-face meeting to provide a collection of all the member’s medication related information and address any medication concerns. The CMR will take approximately 45 minutes.
- A Personal Medication List (PML) to record all prescription and over-the-counter medications which can be updated as needed (sample PML)
- A Medication Action Plan (MAP) made for the member after counseling to help them follow steps while taking medications to reach their health goals
- The PML and MAP are printed and either hand delivered or mailed within 14 calendar days of the Comprehensive Medication Review
- Quarterly Targeted Medication Reviews (TMR) will find possible safety concerns. Some drugs are not advised for those over age 65. The review may offer other drug therapies that may help the member. The member may be asked to talk with their doctor. A letter may be sent to the doctor.
A family member or friend can take part in the MTMP program for the member. The authorized representative form must be completed by the member for this person.
If you have questions about this program, or need assistance, please call the Member Services department at 1-866-549-8289. Hours are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday. After hours, on weekends and on holidays, you may be asked to leave a message. Your call will be returned within the next business day. TTY users call 711. Member Services is prepared to answer questions about the MTMP.